View count: 10447
Department of Chemical Engineering of NCCU is a well-established research institute in Taiwan. Research projects are mostly granted form Ministry of Science & Technology and Ministry of Economic Affair of Taiwan, and from private industrial sectors such as Taiwan Petroleum Corp., Formosa Plastics, Industrial Technology Research Institutes (ITRI), etc. The department has received the significant annual industrial research and academic research awards from the respective Chemical Engineering Society (Outstanding Academic Research Award) and from Polymer society (Industrial Technology Award) of Taiwan in 2015. In addition, two of the faculty members have received the respective Outstanding Research Award and the Young Scholar Award of NCCU in 2015.
Currently, the department has 13 full time (10 professors, 2 associate professors and 1 assistant professor) faculty members and received 25 research grants in the 2015/2016 fiscal year. Graduate students enrolled in the department have the opportunity to participate in various areas of research and career training depending on the projects received by their respective research advisers. Despite this, the department has built up its established research strength and main focus in the following areas:
With many research grants offered by the Ministry of Science and Technology, the Chinese Petroleum Corporation, and the private sectors of the chemical industry, the department concentrates the research and teaching effort in the following areas:
- Pursuing advanced technologies in bio-technologies, including fermentation, enzyme reactions, separation & purification of bio-products, and recombination of industrial micro-organisms.
- The automation of chemical processes, including intelligent process control, robust multivariable process control, process diagnosis and their applications in catalytic distillation column.
- The development of new catalysis technologies for selective syntheses of high purity fine chemicals, which have great demand in Taiwan’s electronic and petrochemical industries.
- The synthesis of precision polymers, organic-inorganic hybrids, optoelectronic polymers, and viscoelastic polymeric materials.
- The development of key technological for uses in the syntheses of new alloys for electronic, metallurgical and solder applications.
- Simulation, optimization and analyses of a chemical processes and the rheology of a polymeric fluid to achieve debottleneck in an industrial production line.
- The development of technological break-through in the syntheses and applications of nanomaterials, including carbon nanotubes, metal nanoparticles and nanorods.
- The development of the key material technologies, including the synthesis of fine ceramics, optoelectronic materials and high performance engineering plastics for use in Electronic and semi-conductor industries